Main Menu
Random photo
Little wedding guest's ponytail

Little wedding guest's ponytail

I Give It A Year
Image of two mismatched silver rings on a year calendar

The Hobbit - Review
Ink drawing on parchment of the Lonely Mountain with a compass on the top left.

Hope Springs Review
Photo of a fountain.

More Sunsets
Sunset over the Thames and Canary Wharf. Click to go to Sunsets and Dawns Gallery for new pictures

The Sapphires Review
Photo of a green toy army truck on a boomerange resting on the strings of a guitar.

Review: The Wedding Video
Image of Image of three empty wine glasses on a white table cloth with place fanme with purpe bow, all in pinkish light.

Olympic Torch in Finchley
Danuta Ryland carrying the Olympic Torch through Finchley, London 2012.

blog header logo

SmartSection is developed by The SmartFactory (http://www.smartfactory.ca), a division of INBOX Solutions (http://inboxinternational.com)
Articles > Blog > How To UK Register Your Personal Imported Car
How To UK Register Your Personal Imported Car
How To UK Register Your Personal Imported Car

How To UK Register Your Personal Imported Car

by Chartreuse Green 6/3/2014 14.11

Image of the left-hand end of a registration plate showing the letters GB within the European U, nion ring of stars, yellow on a blue backgroundYou may be an expat returning from abroad, a member of the armed services previously stationed in Europe or immigrating to the UK. One thing you will have in common is a attachment to your car, all the associations with your travels, outings, friends and adventures on foreign soil. Of course, you could sell it, replace it with a UK model or use public transport but another just wouldnít be the same. With some patience, form-filling and a certain financial outlay, you can register your car in the UK and this article explains how.

If you become a resident in the UK, you must tax and register your vehicle in the UK straight away. There is a grace period of 6 months but you can be stopped by the police and asked for evidence of how long youíve had the car in the UK. After that time you will no longer legally be able to park or drive on public roads. So, if you want to keep your car and use it regularly itís worth getting it UK registered.

There are a number of steps but it is possible to complete the process within a few weeks. The procedure is set out below with links to the necessary forms, government information and telephone numbers.

How much does it cost? The best case scenario, if you have an MOT and the car is more than 10 years old, is £55 registration fee plus the cost of the tax disc and insurance. If less than 10 years old and from outside the EU the cost can rise to 4 times as much. Fees have ben highlighted so you can do the sums.

1. Check you have your carís Chassis number and your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The chassis number will likely be on your foreign registration document. The VIN can often be found on the driverís side of the dashboard viewable through the windscreen. Alternatively open the bonnet and look at the front of the engine, or between the carburetor and the windscreen washer unit. If your car is post 1981 the VIN will have 17 characters.

If your car is an EU import you should be able to add it online to the Nova database of cars eligible for UK registration:


If you need a commodity code, ring Tariff Classification Service 01702 366 077 If your car is not an EU import and your car is part of your personal possessions, you are bringing into the UK and you intend to keep it for a year you can be exempt paying VAT and import tax http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/c104a.pdf

2. For the UK registration form visit https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms and order form V55/5

3. If your car is less than 10 years old, you will need documentation to show your vehicle conforms to UK criteria for use in Britain


If the vehicle is from within the EU you may have a Certificate of Conformity. If not, you will likely need to contact the manufacturer or dealer in the country where you bought the car and ask them to send you one. Call tel.: 0117 952 4191 for help with contact numbers of manufacturers here and abroad. If you have the certificate you can apply for a certificate of Mutual Recognition (MR):


It costs £100 and you will also need to supply a document from a garage to show that the car has lights and speedometer that are suitable for UK use.

If you canít find or obtain your Certificate of Conformity or your car is from outside the EU you can apply to arrange an Individual Vehicle Assessment (IVA) from the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA)

Cost: £199.00

You can find your nearest testing station here:


Then download and complete the application form:


Call the legislation team on 0300 330 5797 if you need help.

4. You'll also need an MOT. You may be able to get this done at the same time as the IVA. are legally permitted to drive an untaxed uninsured foreign vehicle to an MOT station appointment. On the way home its pretty much pot luck.

5. Once your HMRC permissions form, you MR or IVA if necessary arrive, your have an MOT certificate and you have V55/5 fill it in. The DVLA are very helpful with this. Check you have all the necessary paperwork:

MOT certificate HMRC certificate or IVA if your car is less than 10 years old. Photocopy of ID, eg passport or driving licence, Registration document Cheque covering the £55 registration fee and the cost of your tax disc. You can check what this is at:


6. Insurance. At this point you will need to find chassis only insurance.† Admiral do this but ensure that on the insurance document the chassis number, the make and model appear at the top or at least the chassis number with a covering letter from the company stating the make and model. You can also try Direct Line, Zurich, Adrian Flux and AJ Insurance.

Make the call last. Admiral for example allows only 14 days on chassis only. This is likely a hangover from the days when there were DVLA offices which you could visit in person and have the registration in a couple of days. All local offices have now closed and UK registration application can be processed only by post. However if you include a letter explaining the urgency they will do their best.

Send in the form as soon as possible after you put the phone down after arranging the insurance with the. The clock is ticking.

7.† On receiving your new registration in the post from the DVLA, call your insurance company and tell them the new registration so they can issue up to date documents.

8.† Put your new tax disc up

9.† Plates. Call your local Halfords (or other registered plate makers) and check they make plates.† Take your reg permission doc from the DVLA and the registration document plus your drivers license. Halfords will fit your new registration plates for a fiver and the cost of the plates will depend on the style you choose.

Now youíre legal. Congratulations.

10. Take a photo to remember this day.

More articles

  View this article in PDF format Print article Send article

Other articles in this category Hits
How To UK Register Your Personal Imported Car
Vaping Virgin
The Virgin Articles
RC Virgin part III: The Seagull - Flying in the Alps
Tragedy Strikes: Flying Foam
RC Virgin
Alpine Summer Virgin: Why Book Bourg in Summer
Contemporary Camping Virgin
Blue Badge - You Have To Want It
Canal Virgin
Olympic Torch Day Fever Hits Finchley
Corsets All Right
Dinner Table Manual
Sunday Afternoon at Le Pont de la Tour
The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.

Feel Better Films
Red petunia in rising sunlight

The Virgin Articles
Image of two small green plants in snow

Red 2 Review
Image of the digit 2 in red on a smokey black background

Django Review
Image of the letter D embossed on tan leather spattered with blood across the lower half

Life of Pi Review
Image of the symbol pi in a circle drawn in white sand on blue water.

Frankenweenie Review
Image of the word 'Frankenweenie' in a horror font in white on a black background.

Great Expectations Review
Image of water next to a muddy gritty shore with the words in white italic script: Great Expectations.

Bells and Kathak
Image of three dancers in red costumes holding a large bunch of white balloons

New Cranes Gallery
Three white cranes on the Shard

Ice Age 4 Review
Chalk drawing of Scrat with a nut.

Review of Brave
Image of Vue cinema internal glass door with red-haired triplet appearing to peep around it, an a poster of Brave in the background showing Merida.